Leadership Team Position: Executive Director
The Executive Director will lead Carry the Future in uniting a loving global community with refugee children and families to bring dignity, care, and awareness to the refugee journey. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our organization, ensuring that we are operating efficiently and effectively to meet the needs of the organization and of the families we serve. In this role, you will be the leader of our organization, working closely with a talented and professionally diverse, globally located all-volunteer Board of Directors, team of Chief Officers, and staff. You will be a conduit between the organizational staff and its working board. This role will ensure that staff members are aligned with the organizations mission and vision and working together to successfully achieve strategic objectives within our virtual and volunteer environment.
- Develop and implement strategic plans that meet organizational goals and objectives created in partnership with the Board of Directors and the Chief Officers.
- Promote comprehensive fundraising strategy to properly support ongoing and future programs and ensure success of strategy through proper management of all organization departments.
- Recruit, hire and mentor Chief Officers to create a cohesive team of leaders.
- Ensure commitment to and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations across the organization with consultation from our legal counsel.
- Encourage collaboration across departments to create a culture of transparency and communication throughout the organization.
- Develop positive relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, volunteers and partners.
- Proactively address challenges both internally and externally.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in responding to a refugee crisis.
- Ensure timely, fiscally successful and mission driven success of core programs.
Leadership and Management
- Lead, coach, develop, train, evaluate, and retain qualified staff
- Provide timely and accurate information and reports to the Board of Directors for evaluation and decision making
- Oversee programs and conduct ongoing program evaluations to measure success
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the organization’s strategic goals
Financial and Development Functions and Management
- Work closely with the Finance Committee of the Board to prepare monthly updates, annual budgets, financial and investment reports to assist the Board in making informed decisions regarding the organization’s finances and sustainability
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including development of long and short-range financial plans, monitor the budget, and ensure sound financial controls are in place and in compliance with local, state and federal regulations
- Set financial priorities to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the programs constituents
- Collaborate with Chief Development Officer to ensure donor relations and fundraising goals are set and met to support the programs of Carry the Future
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations globally and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Carry the Future’s mission
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board
- Planning and operation of annual budget
- Supervise and collaborate with organization staff
- Strategic planning and implementation
- Participate in organization Board and committee meetings
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts
- Review and approve contracts for services and MOUs
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
- Master’s degree in business administration, nonprofit management or related field or equivalent professional experience
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Previous experience in a senior leadership role
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic plans
- Strong aptitude for verbal and written communication, presentation, and relationship development
- In-depth knowledge of best practices in management and governance
- Development and/or Humanitarian Response experience