If we have learned anything from the difficulties of 2020, we have learned how much we need others. We are all connected. We need to be with others. We need to hold tight to our friends, family and neighbors. Once taken for granted, we miss the gatherings, hugs and handshakes. As we welcome the holiday season, let us bring peace, love, light and goodwill to others. As we get creative about connecting to others this time of year, we ask that you remember refugee families and the difficult circumstances they are facing. Here are some creative, contact-free ways to help refugee families during the 2020 holiday season:
- Start a Facebook fundraiser for Carry the Future. The funds raised will bring much-needed supplies to children at refugee camps in around the world, where Covid-19 has impacted those who are most vulnerable.
- Donate to Carry the Future in your loved one’s name instead of shipping gifts to those you can’t see this season.
- Host a virtual Friendsgiving. Gather friends around a screen to eat, laugh and visit as you give pause to refugee families. Friends can then donate to Carry the Future online.
- Host a virtual sewing party to make Dolls of Hope for refugee children. Rather knit? Make a blanket, hat, or scarf for a refugee mama.
- Contact your local refugee resettlement agency to see how you can help. Many agencies are struggling due to the pandemic. They may need you to drop off clothing, canned goods, hygiene items, or gifts.
- Buy gifts from organizations that support refugees. Carry the Future has shirts and mugs. There are also organizations that sell handcrafted jewelry, candles, and tapestries made by refugees. These items can then be shipped to loved ones.
- Support refugee-owned restaurants and small businesses in your city. A simple google search can provide surprising results of cafes and stores you may not know about. Local economies are struggling due to Covid, so why not help support refugees by purchasing a gift card or ordering a delicious meal to go.
- Post fun holiday photos wearing your Carry the Future shirt. You can advocate for refugees and bring holiday greetings all at once!
- Host a virtual refugee book club. Our blog has book lists and story times. Bring awareness and friendship as you zoom with your group.
- Hold space in your heart for those who are fleeing their homes this holiday season. Remember, they aren’t so different than you and your family.
There are so many ways to help, if you have a heart that is open and eyes to see. Remember, every little thing you do for refugee families makes a difference, no matter how small.
As Clarence from the classic film, It’s a Wonderful Life, says, “Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?”
Say YES to refugees! Click here to set up a monthly donation!