It’s Mother’s Day this Sunday, and Carry the Future would like to honor all the mothers, grandmothers, aunties, and caregivers. As we celebrate all the mamas of this world, we think of the refugee moms, trying to give their children a chance to live out their dreams.
Dreamers by Yuyi Morales is an inspirational story about a mother who travels to a new country, dreaming of a better life for her child. Click below for a virtual storytime.
Below are some talking points to allow your child to process the story.
- What did the mother in the story do to help her child?
- How do you think the mother and child felt when they came to their new country?
- How do you feel when you go to the library?
- What are your dreams?
- How does your mom or grown-up help you to achieve your dreams?
- What does your mom or grown up teach you?
- The mom and child only had each other when they traveled to their new home. Maybe you can relate to this while you’re home with your family now. How does it feel to only have your family?
Create a dream board with your child. Get a large piece of paper or cardboard. Then, discuss some “dreams” for the future. The dreams can be long-term or more immediate. For example, your child may want to be a firefighter when she grows up. Glue pictures of firefighters and equipment and write inspirational words like BRAVE and HERO. Maybe you want to make a board of dreams for life after quarantine. Glue pictures of vacations, friends, and inspirational words. Be creative and dream big!
This Mother’s Day, click here to make a gift to Carry the Future to honor all the mothers in your life. Happy Mother’s Day.