The holidays are just around the corner and the bell-jingling, bustling time of year usually ushers in a spirit of generosity and goodwill towards others. As you take a pause to reflect this season, Carry the Future asks you to remember the refugees in our midst who won’t be home for the holidays.
Here are some easy, last minute ways to help refugees, during this season of light and love.
- Start a Facebook fundraiser for Carry the Future. The funds raised will bring much-needed supplies to children at refugee camps in Greece and elsewhere.
- Instead of buying mom another candle, give a gift that makes an impact. Donate to Carry the Future in your loved one’s name.
- Host a cookie swap and have everyone bring diapers to donate to refugee families.
- Host a cozy sewing party to make Dolls of Hope for refugee children. Rather knit? Make a blanket, hat, or scarf for a refugee mama.
- Contact your local refugee resettlement agency to see how you can help. They may need you to bring gifts, clothes, or time to a newly settled refugee family in your area.
- Buy gifts from organizations that support refugees. Carry the Future has shirts and mugs. There are also organizations that sell handcrafted jewelry, candles, and tapestries made by refugees.
- Host a bake sale or holiday bazaar and donate the proceeds.
- Post fun holiday photos wearing your Carry the Future shirt. You can advocate for refugees and bring holiday greetings all at once!
- Invite your place of worship or community club to collect money for refugees.
- Hold space in your heart for those who are fleeing their homes this holiday season. Remember, they aren’t so different than you and your family.
There are so many ways to help, if you have a heart that is open and eyes to see. Remember, every little thing you do for a refugee makes a lasting impact in someone’s life. It may seem small, but everyone can do something that matters.
As Clarence from the classic film, It’s a Wonderful Life, says, “Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?”
Say YES to refugees! Click here to set up a monthly donation!